Cromarty Lighthouse Lens
Cromarty Courthouse Museum

Cromarty lighthouse was built between 1842 and 1846 by Alan Stevenson.  Lighthouses have served an important purpose for many centuries, guiding vessels in and out of harbours and warning mariners of the dangers of rocky coastlines or shallow waters.  

In 1985, the Northern Lighthouse Board made the light automatic which meant that for the first time in nearly 140 years there was no lighthouse keeper.  The light was permanently discontinued on 26th February 2006, when the lens was transferred to Cromarty Courthouse Museum.  

Roll Over The Image To Zoom In

Date: 1900-1940
Materials : Glass, Metal
Size : 95cm x 40cm

Associated Activity

Skip to content