Pictish Stone with Key Pattern
Groam House Museum
This Pictish stone gives us important information about people from the period 1000 to 1500 years ago. Many such large stones have been found across the north half of Scotland. The name Picts, meaning painted people, was given to them by the Romans.
It was discovered whilst repair work was being done to Rosemarkie Church in 1735. Made of sandstone, the stone shows relief carving with very regular key patterns, spirals, and pellets.