Cromarty was on the pilgrimage route to the shrine of St Duthac in Tain.
Pilgrims often carried small tokens to show that they were on a pilgrimage. These were often small lead bottles to hold Holy Water or lead fish that were sewn onto their clothes.
From 1459 onwards, King James IV of Scotland made frequent visits to the shrine and crossed the Cromarty Firth from Cromarty. This lead fish probably dates from about that time.
Roll Over The Image To Zoom In
Materials : Lead
Size : 4cm x 3cm