Plaque from Cromarty Hospital
At the end of the nineteenth century, a serious measles epidemic triggered demands for a local hospital in Cromarty.
Measles is a highly contagious airborne virus, now prevented by vaccination but responsible for millions of deaths in the past.
In June 1894, a purpose-built hospital was opened. It was funded by subscription and donations, costing £1,010 to build. There was a resident District Nurse in the hospital and the local GP was the Medical Officer.
This brass plate is from the first ward to be opened, the Nicholl Ward. Local fundraising continued to support the hospital until the creation of the National Health Service in 1948.
Roll Over The Image To Zoom In
Materials : Brass
Size : 40cm x 25cm