These prison keys have a ‘Naval patrol house’ label. They give us an insight into events in Cromarty during World War One.
In 1914, the ground floor of the Courthouse, including the prison cells, was requisitioned by the Royal Navy as a base for the Shore Patrol.
The Cromarty Firth had become a major naval anchorage with its headquarters in Invergordon. Naval discipline was administered by the captains of each ship. However, when the sailors were on shore leave, discipline on land was administered by the Regulators of the Shore Patrol who would have used these cells.
The First World War was the last time that the Courthouse cells were used.
Roll Over The Image To Zoom In
Materials : Metal
Size : 15cm x 10cm