West Highland Museum
This box is notable for its marquetry – inlaid work made using small pieces of different coloured wood. It was made by a German Prisoner of War at Kinlochleven prisoner camp during the First World War.
The camp was operational from 1916-1919. Also known as Loch Eilde Camp, it was part of the British prisoner of war camp network and operated as a satellite to Stobs Camp in the Borders. The camp hosted mostly German prisoners of war with also some British conscientious objectors. The camp was cleared following the end of the war although almost the entire plan form of the camp remains visible.
It was presented to Janet Weir Adamson (later Stewart) who worked at the camp during the war effort. Janet died in 1928, but her family kept the box as a treasured family heirloom.