Salmon Box Brand
Cromarty Courthouse Museum
Salmon has been fished from the firths for centuries. Fish were caught by long nets from the shore then brought in by winch.
In Cromarty, the fish were boxed in ice and branded at the harbour so that the contents could be identified once they reached market. This brand was for a merchant named Hossack.
In 1862, the Salmon Fisheries Act led to many new salmon fishing stations along the North East coast. In the Cromarty area, there were fishing stations at Balintore, McFarquhar’s Bed, and Eathie. Fishermen were contracted to a particular fishing station for a season.